Friday, August 05, 2005

V=Peace

Just a quick note about photography, Japan, and the peace sign. Apparently its on many people's minds as to why this happens in pictures of Japanese people. I have actually asked some of my Japanese co-workers and none of them seem to really know because its been something they have taken for granted for some time. I asked and looked around more, and there are several cogent theories floating around, although no one really knows for sure. It is definitely a peace sign, although sometimes Japanese people, instead of saying "say cheese" when taking pictures ask "what's 1 + 1?" and the reason there for the two is obvious. Another possibility - dentistry in Japan is atrociously and people's teeth are in al sorts of bad condition, and I think its something that many feel self-conscious about, and so, in many cases, the peace sign is placed somewhere in the vicinity of the mouth, so as to cover up the teeth in the picture... Anyway, no one really knows, but here's a funny website about, just in case you want to know more...http://www.maninjapan.co.uk/index.php?p=99...over and out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, that website is hilareous! why is dental hygiene an issue for the japanese again?

rdm said...

Anya, I'm not sure about the dentists, some have even said that the Japanese find bad teeth somewhat sexy (that's beyond me at this point); iak, I will email Ilya soon, he's a bit further south than I am; Shlomo, I'm not sure why people look familiar; as to fotki, its www.fotki.com/photomoose and then go under RDM; as to nightlife, new blog coming soon...take care