Thursday, July 28, 2005

Quickie

I have arrived in the place where I will be spending quite a while. After three nights in Tokyo, where we did much drinking and sight seeing (if anyone can find a kitten sushi place in Chicago, go check it out - its the one with the conveyor belt) and were dipped in this pool of luxury, I arrived in Houdatsushimizu Town. I am very lucky because I was met by my predescesor, who is here another week, and by another third year JET who lives in the same town. They have shown me around and of course, it all still has not settled in yet. I do not have much time right now to write extensively. But I will say that I am being shuffled around quite a bit right now because my house will not be ready for another week or so, but at least I am getting a chance to meet some of the people I will be working with. (Damn, there is so much to say) Like last night, I went out with the vice-principal of my school. He drove me around the town (its main natural attractions are the highest mountain in the prefecture (only about 800 meters) and a long road on the beach (literally on the sand on the beach on the Sea of Japan). I thought we would staying with his family, but we went to a hotel instead. (Separate rooms, you sick people). He took me out to an izikaya, a small Japanese family restaurant and had me try all kinds of Japanese food and even showed me how to use chopsticks, because obviously I do not know how. We also drank a bit of sake and lots of beer. Meanwhile, the man speaks like two words of English and I apparently do not know any Japanese (so all that studying at home is a big mystery to me). In any case, it was a pretty good time, and I certainly understand why the Japanese drink so much. Today, I met some more of the teachers and even some of the students...for them, its summer vacation, but they are still at school, doing their club activities and what not) Next week, there will be an all-school assembly, where I have to give a speech to the whole frigging school. Also, it will be a farewell assembly for my predescesor, so I think that it will be somewhat unfair (in two years, he has learned to speak Japanese quite well.) Anyhoot, like I said, there is a lot more I would like to post, but do not have the time. Tonight, I am staying with another teacher, but she is a teacher of English, so hopefully that means something. Anyway, when I get settled in and have a little more time, I will write a better post. I will also get a phone and stuff and we can talk. I miss everyone. Take care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet, man! no doubt i am going to be dissapointed when i get to japan because chances are the real thing can't compete with the imagery running through my head. but then again, if murakami didn't mess it up for you, you probably won't mess it up for me either.
i thought you knew how to use chopsticks? why do the japanese drink so much? does your speech in front of the school have to be in japanese? what are some weird things in the vending machines? what is the town of your permanent (semi) residence like?
we love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

i second the question posed before, why do the japanese drink so much and why is it not a well known fact? it's so amazing to hear your being shuffled around, because it brings so many memories back, kogda vsyo plyvet pered glazami, and you're on this whirlwind path. enjoy the ride roman!! we're here cheering for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey yo - Just remember man, when you're giving the speech in front of the entire school, there will be a young Asian girl looking at you from her seat much like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. Your version will be slightly more disturbing in your rendition entitled Soviet Beauty.
Miss ya dude.

Anonymous said...

She is a teacher of English means she will understand your pathetic come on lines. My advice is that you find a screw ASAP and compliment her clothing .

Anonymous said...

Seems like you're having a great time. When you're giving your speech, try to check your fondness for long-windedness :) (unless of course they like that sort of thing) BTW, you know how I mentioned I'd be coming in March, well apparently I can't count. 6 months from August is February, not March, so expect me then. I'm buying the tickets within the week

Anonymous said...

yeah, japanese would probably be a good thing to know since you're there and all...